Friday, August 19, 2011

"Favorites" maybe its impossible to choose...

A guy I worked with over the summer said to me once, "procrastination is just an attempt at immortality". I had a pretty good laugh at that thought.

Well, I've been procrastinating posting arguably my two favorite artists because...well, where do you even begin?

This blog hasn't quite made it to one week old yet and it has predominantly been used by me to organize my musical thoughts. I hope it gets some use to people other than myself, but at the end of the day...I suppose it doesn't matter. The process of blogging, much like keeping a journal, has had me thinking a lot about my own personal musical taste and how it reflects my life. I listen to all sorts of different kinds of music that spans across most genres...and I am realizing i listen to different types of music in very different ways. One thing that remains static in my search for good music, is the necessity for the music to come from some kind of artistic, passionate depth within the artist producing it. I am a whole hearted believer in the power of personal passion and am often floored by people's ability to turn emotion into sound and lyric.

That being said, I introduce The Books and Tallest Man on Earth. To preface them though, I'll use a little help from Andrea Gibson and her ideas about art. Hope it hits home for whoever is out there listening.

Andrea Gibson - Yellowbird


Remember being young?

The Books - Classy Penguin


The Books - The Animated Description of Mr. Maps



I adore wrestling with the inspiration behind The Books work. What Nick Zammuto and Paul de Jong do with sound, video, and lyric never ceases to humble me.

Tallest Man On Earth - Field of Birds


Tallest Man on Earth - Tangle in This Trampled Wheat


Take the lyrical prowess and vocal obscurity of Bob Dylan and slap it into a twenty something Swede and you get Kristian Matsson. Man, the passion that he puts into the guitar, his voice, and those heart wrenching lyrics...i could listen to him all day (often i do).

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment